Tuesday's Quick Picks - January 19th, 2010

We have a nice bevy of quality games tonight.  Tennessee, America's new darling team, faces a tricky road trip trap game in Tuscaloosa.  The Tide have given Purdue and Vandy fits in their gym and also beaten Michigan.  I'm making no official pick on this one, but it is worth a watch as Tennessee is creeping into legitimate #1 seed discussions.

Another fantastic conference game is taking place in Atlanta tonight.  I was blown away by the explosive quickness and leaping ability of Gani Lawal, and even more impressed with his strength watching him manhandle Carolina's vaunted interior.  It will be a blast watching him and Clemson's Booker bang all game.  This is another game I wouldn't dare touch in Vegas, but I would wager you are watching two of the three best teams in the ACC face off tonight.

Ok, now for same games I will put my name on:

George Mason, like Creighton and Utah, had miserable pre-conference seasons but still seem capable of spoiling some things once conference play starts.  Hofstra is a tough place to win, and they have been solid in CAA play, but I like the Patriots and the four and a half tonight.

Evan Turner is my National Player of the Year (still), and many readers will be surprised to see where Ohio State lands in tomorrow's Bracketeering.  That said, laying 12 is a lot to a good Northwestern team, fresh off their win over Purdue.  Ohio State wins, but I'll take NW and the 12.

Oklahoma is 2-1 in conference play, and from a distance seems to have steadied the once-promising ship.  From a distance.  This team takes terrible shots and looks like a playground team at times.  The win over Mizzou is a good one, but I'll still lay the seven and take Texas A&M at home.

Surely Purdue can't lose another game in a row, right?  That logic burnt me this weekend at Northwestern, but I'm sticking to my guns tonight when they travel to Champaigne.  I still think the Illini are a bit overrated and a bubble team by the time the season winds down.  If Purdue drops THIS one, it is time to push the panic button in West Lafayette.

In my final pick, let me start by saying Northern Iowa is really good.  In my estimation, they are a tourney lock, and though we've had them higher than the polls all year (who finally ranked the Panthers), deserve their spot in Bracketeering.  However, there is nothing tougher than knocking off a familiar, talented conference rival in their barn.  The Panthers are going to try to do just that tonight at Wichita State.  I like the Shockers laying two, in a good win not only for them, but also for the MVC's hopes of earning more than one bid.

MANIAC'S PICKS:
Northwestern +12
Wichita St. -2
Texas A&M -7
George Mason +4.5
Purdue -4
Want More? Have something to Say?
Read, Rant, Agree, Disagree...Curse at Us (nicely please)
Do it all @ MarchManiacs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment