Saturday Selections - The Maniac is Back

We've taken a hiatus from the prognosticating of late, but today Maniac is back with screaming vengeance and long slate of winners.  For the record, entering today we're sitting at 21-12-1 against the spread for the season.  That's throwin' darts my friends...


Missouri +5.5 @ Texas A&M
The Aggies have one of the best records in the country, but are seriously devoid of many quality wins worth boasting about.  They are going to have their hands full with the pressure and relentless scoring attack of the Tigers.  I like Mizzou winning outright in College Station, but love them getting 5.5.

Maryland @ Villanova -5.5
How bad is the ACC really??  Today might give us a nice glimpse when the Terps head over to Philly to meet Villanova.  The Wildcats are the quietest Top 10 team in the country, with their only loss coming in Knoxville on an afternoon where the Vols shot the lights out.  Aside from that, they've been perfect, including wins over Temple, Cincinnati and Louisville.  I think Maryland is one of the top three or four teams in the ACC, behind Duke (obviously), North Carolina and then lumped in that middle group with Boston College, Florida State and Virginia Tech.  Keeping that sort of company makes a 5-point spread at 'Nova seem way, way too low.  Gimme the Wildcats by double digits.


Georgia +4.5 @ Ole Miss
Georgia has as much talent as any team in the SEC outside of Kentucky.  They lost last week to Vandy, but played decently in the game; Vandy is just really good (and has the best player no one knows about, Jeff Taylor).  Georgia has played a solid schedule and taken a few lumps, but they are starting to become much better for it and are blossoming into an NCAA Tourney caliber team.

The Bulldogs are significantly better than Ole Miss on a neutral floor - so giving them 4.5 on the road seems too generous to pass up.  Gimme UGA in a road win "upset."

UCF @ Southern Miss - 3
Anyone reading this already knows I am an excessively-proud UCF alum.  You also have heard me pumping up Southern Miss and Gary Flowers as on of the true sleeper teams and players in the country and someone to watch in March.  So today - I have to put my money where my mouth is.  I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I will be.  Gimme the Golden Eagles laying three.  I think I just spit up in my mouth a little bit.

San Diego State -1 @ New Mexico
New Mexico was one of the surprise teams last season, riding their fantastic MWC conference play to a gaudy record and a #3 seed in the NCAA Tourney.  San Diego State fits that identical profile this season, though their sights might be set even a little higher; a #1 seed isn't out of reach.  The other difference is Kawhi Leonard, the sophomore forward for the Aztecs, who is a legit NBA first rounder.

The other big factor?  New Mexico isn't very good this year.  Look at their record and their schedule.  A 35 point loss to an abysmal Cal team.  A 66-60 loss to Northern Iowa (also down from last season), and last week a loss at Wyoming.  How are they basically a pick-em with one of the ten best teams in the country? Is their home court advantage truly that formidable?

I don't know either.  Take the Aztecs.  I'll make that my lock of the day.

MANIAC'S PICKS:  SDSU-1 (lock), So Miss -3, Georgia +4.5, 'Nova -5.5, Mizz +5.5

No comments:

Post a Comment