Maniac's Greatest Hits

Ah, the highs and lows of March Madness.  It seems only fair that the Maniac should suffer the same slings and arrows.  Though we all know what we call someone who goes 61% in Vegas right?  Yup.  Rich.

Greatest Hits: All reprinted from the opening weekend pick column:

Cornell +5 v. Wisconsin -- Wisconsin's claim to fame is knocking off unsuspecting foes in the tournament with their plodding, slow-down, methodical style.  Um, that won't work against Cornell.  In fact, it plays right into their wheelhouse.  I like Cornell straight-up, but will take the five gladly.

Missouri v. West Virginia -6 -- This line feels way to small.  West Virginia is more than equipped to counter the frenetic style that Mizzou will throw at them.

Xavier (PICK) v. Pitt -- Hard to believe, but this is the first pick-em of the NCAA Tournament, and it is bestowed upon the Maniac's Muskies.  I've yapped that Pitt is overrated most of the season (and most of last..and the year before...).  Well, if I'm wrong, it seems like a lot of you will be able to throw it in my face.  Give me X and Jordan Crawford getting a little revenge for last year's Sweet Sixteen ouster.

Texas A&M v. Purdue +2.5 -- Boiler Up!  I'm staying on board until they meet the Dukies next week.  JuJuan Johnson and E'Twaun made the Maniac look smart against Siena, here's betting they do it again against Aggies, surprisingly only the third Big 12 team remaining...

Cal v. Duke -6 -- The Dukies won't no-show today, and I'm not sure Cal has the ammo to hang around.  Give me the Devils easy.

St Mary's +5 v. Villanova:   This matchup is very, very similar to the Richmond one for the Gaels.  Obviously Scottie Reynolds and the Villanova backcourt is a slight upgrade, but the fact remains they have no semblance of an inside presence.  I think this bodes well for St. Mary's, I like St. Mary's to pull the upset.

Wofford +10 v. Wisconsin -- Gimme Wofford in a game that will be Waw-ful to watch.  The tempo alone of the Badgers make a 10-point cushion like getting 15 or 16.

Vermont  v. Syracuse -16 -- Taylor Coppenrath ain't walkin' through that door!  Ah...now I know who my real college hoop fans are. 

Robert Morris +18 v. Villanova:  I'm not worried about 'Nova...yet.  However, they strike me as an undersized, slumping team that is a prime candidate to let a team hang around for just long enough to get people a little jazzed...Gimme RM and the points.

Murray State +3.5 v. Vanderbilt:  OK, Vegas has confirmed my gut-feel that Murray State is a legit threat to pull off one of the more eye-opening upsets in round one.

Butler -2.5 v UTEP -- Everyone is so enamored with how Butler's Matt Howard can possibly contain Dereck Caracter they forgot to factor in how is UTEP going to control Shelvin Mack and Gordon Hayward?  Oh, and Butler hasn't lost in several months.

Ohio +13.5 v. Georgetown -- Ohio is pretty lightly regarded and coming out of the WAY down MAC as the upset-tourney champ.  So why are they only getting 13.5?  Call this a straight contrarian pick.  Sometimes when an unknown team is getting WAY too few points, someone knows something I don't. 
 You Can't Win 'Em All: All reprinted from the opening weekend pick column:
Gonzaga +7 v. Syracuse --  I feel like I have written this the past eight years in my tourney column, but I feel as comfortable with the ball in the hands of Matt Boldin as I do with any other player in the country.  Not sure the Zags win straight-up (though I definitely have the Cuse on upset alert) but I like them with the seven for sure.


Northern Iowa v. Kansas -11.5:  Rock CHALK.  I like Northern Iowa, but just don't think they have near the quickness, quality size or depth to make the Jayhawks sweat.

Washington v. New Mexico +2:  I'm not willing to go absolute on this, but I have a sneaking suspicion this is the first time a #11 was a Vegas favorite over a #3 in the NCAA Tournament.  Someone with more freetime that me can look it up, in the meantime lets just agree it is certainly odd.  That said, surely that puts another log on the New Mexico fire.  They looked lethargic and avergae Thursday night.  I think they play better today and beat Washington in a hard fought game.

Cal v. Louisville -1 -- This is a coin-flip; heads Edgar Sosa is great, tails he murders the Cards' season.  I'll go heads for tomorrow.


Notre Dame -2.5 v. Old Dominion:  The Irish are as hot as anyone in the country right now.  ODU is a really solid team, and I think they'd be in this field regardless of whether or not they won the underrated CAA Conference Tournament or not (they did).  ODU could get to the Sweet Sixteen, but they match-up really poorly with Notre Dame and really don't have an answer for Harangody.




Do it all @ MarchManiacs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment