Saturday Picks - Jan 16th

Fresh off a fantastic 3-1 night, pulling the record to 35-27-1 on the year, the Maniac wades into one of the fullest days of the college hoops season.

Perhaps the gem of the day tips off before the clock strikes noon when Dayton travels to Xavier in an A10 blockbuster. The schools, seperated by only an hour represent the past and present of the most underrated league in the nation. Dayton has slipped off the national radar, but is still a likely tournament team capable of playing past the first weekend. Xavier seems to be clicking, having reeled off three straight since the double-OT loss at Wake.

The winner takes an early upper hand in the A-10 race and likely starts getting a few votes in the AP poll. The line says Muskies by six and a half, I'm not picking this one, but wanted to make sure to give one of the best games of the day it's proper due.

On to the picks:

Syracuse travels to Morgantown in the highest profile game of the day. It's a fantastic matchup, but I like the Orange on the road with the four and a half. It will be interesting to see if the 'Eers can utilize the size an versatility of Butler and Ebanks in the high post and short corners against the zone. Great game; gimme the Cuse +4.5

Is Clemson for real? I think so. I think they keep rolling, beating NC St on the road. Staying in the ACC, let me ask you a question. On a neutral floor, who's better? GA Tech or North Carolina? Tough call? Then why are the Heels laying EIGHT? Gimme Tech to cover.

Pitt only laying three hosting spotty Louisville? That tells me Vegas isn't sold yet on the Panthers. After wins at UConn and Syracuse I can't find anymore reason to doubt Dixon's club. Gimme Pitt; lay the three.

In the Big 12, Mizzou has been the most pleasant surprise; Oklahoma the exact converse. So why would it be a surprise for the Tigers to run all over 'em in Norman? Yeah, I don't think ot would either. Take the Tigers laying two.

Another Big 12 game; Baylor hosts OK St. Not sold on the Pokes and their soft wins. Baylor meanwhile has been tested frequently and shown well. I think only one of these two cam dance this March, so this game is bigger than it might first appear. I like Baylor to bring their A game and cover the four at home.

One last pick. I can't see anyway Purdue drops a third straight game, though they ARE winless since I wrote the glowing bromance article about them. I am a little hurt, but the affection remains strong. This is a tough one, given my equally long affinity for Northwestern, but I just don't see them being able to corral an angry Boilermaker squad, even at home.

RECAP:
Syracuse +4
Clemson -4
Pitt -3
Mizzou -2.5
GA Tech +8
Baylor -4
Purdue -6


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment