Just a Little Crush

Player of the Weekend

It's OK.

My wife is cool with it, and I am not the least bit ashamed to say I have a man-crush on Stephen Curry of Davidson. Slightly complicating matters are the fact that he appears to be no more than 14 years old...but that is an issue for another day.

I think it is balanced out by my wife twice asking if Stephen Curry's Mom was "Brooke Burke." (If you don't know who that is - google her NOW)

Curry's performance over the weekend went from spectacular after his 40 point outburst against Gonzaga, to timeless after dropping another thirty today and dropping the second-seeded Hoyas in dramatic double-digit comeback fashion. On Friday, I sat screaming at my TV while watching Curry torpedo the Zags "Move over Brice Drew." Today, it is becoming move over Christian Laettner.

Ok, that's a bit much - but consider what Curry and his Davidson Wildcats have already accomplished: Not only did they win the school's first NCAA Tourney game in 39 YEARS (I believe that team was coached by Lefty Dreisell - I'll need Poppa Maniac to verify that one...) They now sit squarely in the Sweet 16, the most talked about team in the nation. Regardless of HOW the game against Wisconsin turns out Davidson has left their indelible time-stamp on all that is good about March Madness.

Not that Curry's success is a shock to true college hoops fans; we already knew he was good. (see here) it is just that few knew he could be this good on this big of a stage. In two games, two dramatic comeback upset wins Curry has tossed in fifty five second half points. That alone would rank him among the tourney leaders.

Watching Curry and teammates leaping chest-bumps reminded me of my 14-under AAU team, he looks like a kid, full of joy and most of all, full of big shot, fearless moxy.

My new favorite player, and thousands of people across the country's as well... Player of the Opening Weekend, no doubt, Stephen Curry.

No comments:

Post a Comment